Sunday, April 20, 2008

Weekend Wrap Up

Yesterday after the snow started melting I headed on up to La Conner to visit my parents. L called me from Renton to find out when I was leaving. I figured she was just trying to find out when it would be safe to come home with friends and not have me be around. I knew there was a possibility of things going on in my house while I was gone but I can't be trapped here worrying about what might happen. So off to a fun relaxing weekend in La Conner. It had been awhile since I saw my parents. It was fun spending time with them and I got my favorite dinner - flank steak and potato salad! Yum!! It's so relaxing to be in a different place - change of scenery - an no L around making me crazy.

Got home this afternoon - a car was parked in my parking spot - walked into a house that smelled of cigarette smoke - the furniture was moved around - my clean living room had stuff all over - and the one chore I had asked her to do while I was gone had not been done. The car belonged to L's friend Jenny who had spent the night. L says that she didn't have a party - I believe she didn't have a "party" but I'm not all that sure what did go on here while I was gone. Maybe when she's thirty-something she'll fess up and tell me. She is now out with Jenny because it is "420" which I guess is like some type of holiday for "potheads". I am sure she is out getting stoned and will roll in real late tonight. She sure is lucky that they don't do random drug testing at her job. She is 18 in 20 days! The final countdown to adulthood for her. And she still has no plan or incentive to do anything other than work a job that is only 3 hours a day and party with her friends the rest of the time, My parents and I were talking about how it was when we graduated high school - back in their day you either went on to college or you joined the service - in my day I didn't think I had a choice, it was just understood that you went on to college after graduation - L just seems to think life after high school is one big party. Anysuggestions on how to motivate a young adult to start making some decisions about how she's going to live her life and what she's going to do?

De

1 comment:

Crawfords said...

I think making her pay rent is just the start of it when she turns 18. What about food, utilities, gas, phone, etc? With no more legal obligation to provide shelter you can boot her out for failing to make such obligations. Else you run the risk of starting your own low-income housing property within the walls of your own home. Not only will L stick around, but all her bummin' friends will know hers is the place to be! Gotta take a stand!