Thursday, July 31, 2008

In Memory

I have entered an age group that I thought would be a long way off. Today I learned that my friend Leslea lost her Mom - Argel Henthorn passed away on Sunday. I was friends with Leslea in Junior High - middle school now a days - during our 7th grade year we had every class together - yup, the exact same schedule. I spent a lot of time over at her house and I loved her Mom. Her Mom was a very tiny lady - I used to give her a hard time about being short - I would go stand next to her and measure her against me saying - Let's see if you've grown any. She called me the Hot Fudge kid. I'm not sure how that started but I think she made hot fudge from scratch one time when I was there and it was delicious - every time I would come over after that I would ask if we were having Hot Fudge. One year for my birthday she made me my own little pot of fudge. It was weird - last weekend I was thinking about Leslea and her parents after I saw the movie Mamma Mia. You see - Leslea and I were huge ABBA fans - I think we wore out the album that we had. One weekend we decided to put on a show for her parents - we made signs, programs, and had costume changes. We performed to the whole album - bless her parents they sat through the whole thing - applauding - we had a blast. I don't remember the last time I saw Leslea or her Mom but I will always have the memories.

This has made me very aware that even though we feel like our parents will be around forever there will come a time when they aren't here anymore. My heart goes out to Leslea - I know she was as close to her Mom as I am to mine. I do not know what I will do when I lose my Mom.

De

No comments: