Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Tourists

I have noticed - while walking to the bus - that there are a lot of tourists that wander around Seattle. I can tell they are tourists because they have fanny packs on their waists, they are either holding cameras or have them around their necks, and they all have maps of the city. They all seem to stop in the middle of the sidewalk and gather around in a circle to all look at one map - come on - some of us have worked all day and just want to get to the bus before we miss it. Why would somebody want to go to Seattle on vacation anyways - I mean really - it's rainy, there's nothing exciting to do, and it's not like there's an easy way to get around the city.

I tried to think of the city from an outsiders point of view - see what might be interesting to them. I see a lot of tourists taking pictures of the buildings - I take for granted that Seattle has some really tall buildings with distinctive architecture - if you've never been to a city the buildings are probably awe inspiring. I remember the first time I got off the bus to go to work - two years ago - I kept staring up at the buildings and thinking how cool it was to see the tall buildings and seagulls.

The shopping is pretty good in Seattle too - two malls at Westlake with a variety of stores as well as stores around the malls. Where else can you shop for high end clothes and then walk five blocks to a large Farmer's Market - Pike Place Market. After shopping you can then go ride the Ferry Boats around Puget Sound.

OK - so I guess I can understand why people might come here for vacation! Just need to look at the city through tourists eyes. They just need to move out of my way so I don't miss the bus!

De

1 comment:

Crawfords said...

I hate going out during the day for this very reason. Coming in at 7:30 is not problem, tourists aren't awake yet. Leaving at 5:30 or 6:00 there's less of them out and about, perhaps they're in the restaurants for dinner. But whenever I have to go out during the day, there's always tons of people just standing around on the sidewalks. It bugs the heck out of me that I have to weave in, out, and around these people as they decide which way to go. Move to the side people! I have to chuckle to myself when I hear them wondering where the Monorail or Space Needle are at though. Can't see the forest for all the trees!