Sunday, August 10, 2008

Chelan


I have returned from Chelan. Next time I need to spend more time. I just got relaxed when it was time to come home. The place I stayed, Kelly's Resort, was exactly how I pictured it - a cabin in the woods. From the outside it looked very old and rustic but inside, it was very clean with wood floors and walls. The bed was comfortable and the cabins are far enough apart that you can't hear anyone else.

The first change I noticed was on the drive to Chelan. I was going to stop at the Rocky Reach Dam and let Muppet chase bunnies - or just look at them - but when we got to the dam they have changed everything. There are no bunnies. :(

I drove by the old house in Manson. It is a different color now and the garage has been turned into a Salon. It was weird to see it and know that there were other people living in it. Manson has changed too. The bakery where we used to get the most wonderful cinnamon apple rolls and maple bars is no longer there. The smoothie/deli store is gone as well as the Espresso stand where we used to get coffee and Italian Sodas. The old Laura's is now a Manson Bay Coffee Co store. There is a Red Apple grocery store there now so no having to run top Chelan if you need to get something. Uncle Tim's is still there - I wish I was staying closer to Manson so I could have had their pizza - which is some of the best pizza I have ever had.
Chelan has changed too - there are more condos/townhouses along the lake and new ones being built - there is a large complex being built across the street from the city park. The great bakery in Chelan is gone too - it has been replaced with a Starbucks. All this change but at least one thing had stayed the same - Lakeside Drive-In and the Bucket of Fries!! They tasted great - Muppet wasn't too sure about them but I loved them. I sat in the shade at a picnic table and read my book and ate fries - Muppet was under the table with a little bowl of water they gave me for her. I was going to go hang at the beach with Mup but the heat seemed to be getting to her so we headed back to our little cabin. She went to sleep and I kept reading - I just started the Twilight Saga - I read book 1 in one day, it was sooooooo good. While I was reading though Muppet had a seizure. I am hoping it was just because of the heat. When it had cooled off some I took her for a walk down to the beach. I set her on the rocks and let the waves lap up against her feet. She wasn't real sure about it and when a bigger wave rolled up and came up to her tummy she jumped back up onto the dock!

Next year I am going to plan more in advance so I can spend more time on vacation. I miss the week long family vacations we used to take. It would be great if the Texas part of the family could come up here and we could all go to Chelan together like we used to. There are a few houses in Manson that we could rent. It would be fun.







De

1 comment:

Crawfords said...

Totally JEALOUS! But alas, my vacay begins in less than 48 hours. Yeah!!!!