Monday, June 23, 2008

You've Got To Be Kidding Me

I have had some weird things happen over the past few months but the email I received this morning has got to take the cake. Here is some quick background - I am divorced - I have one child - there was a point in time when L was growing up that I was not receiving support - Alan has a current debt of $16K in back support.

I received the following email from Alan's Father-in-law this morning (in my mailbox the email showed as having come from Faith Lutheran Church with the subject concern)


Dear Diane
I am writing this to you out of Christian concern. Randi got a notice from the IRS that they would be receiving $1500 as part of the economic stimulus program. The very next week she got the notice from the IRS that due to Alan's indebtedness to you, Alan's $600 AND Megan's, Marcus's & Kaylee's $900 would go to you.
I am asking you to consider returning the $900 to Alan and his family out of kindness as it just does not seem right for the government to continually deny the children monies that the program were designated to be used for. I can understand your 'right' to Alan's $600, but find it hard to accept penalyzing children for the mistakes of their father.
I pray that this will not bring hard feelings, but I do feel that it would only be fair to consider this.
Fred Lehmkuhl
flehmkul@crunet.com

Here are the thoughts that entered my head through out the day:
  • Why am I getting an email from a church
  • What The Hell - You've got to be kidding me
  • Why would Alan have his Father-in-law send me an email like this instead of calling me
  • Where was all this "Christian" concern when his daughter was sleeping with a married man and depriving L of her father for 16 years.
  • Of everyone getting a stimulus payment with child credits - who is actually handing that money over to their kids
  • This would have made a deeper impact if he would have gotten my name right - I'm Diana not Diane
  • WOW! I'm getting an economic stimulus payment from the government
  • Alan is 40 years old - Randi is in her mid 30's - why are they having Daddy get involved - let alone getting involved in something that has nothing to do with him and is really between Alan and I.
  • Why bring Christianity into this and does the Faith Lutheran Church know that Fred used their email address to send an email to try and get money for his son-in-law
So many thoughts and questions- how would you respond to this email - would you send an email to the church asking why they are getting involved in a personal matter where one of the people owes back support. I would really be interested in any comments or thoughts you have on this email?

A thought from my friend Bonnie - Alan and his family already reaped the benefits of the $900 back when they spent it instead of paying child support.

De

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

This has got to be the most ridiculous email I have ever seen. Stay strong woman :-)

Vegas Baby!

Crawfords said...

Diana, you know my thoughts already, but for the benefit of anyone who may be reading this, the irony between this man's "Christian" faith and the fact that what he's asking you to do is in direct violation of at least 2 of God's 10 commandments, just astounds me. This is just way out of line, both in social standards as well as Biblical standards. You owe them nothing but a postcard from Vegas! And make sure you get something nice for yourself while you're there.

Colleen said...

Like I said yesterday. Where was Fred when his teenage daughter was having an affair with a married man? And not just any married man the husband of his other daughters best friend (at the time).
He deserves no response what so ever, just put it out of your mind.
If he is concerned about the $900 take it out of his bank account and give it to her, their his grandkids.

Anonymous said...

Oh my....after all these years he thinks you should give up money that is due to you for the situation HIS daughter put you in. What a best friend she was. At least NOW you have a real best friend in the area that would never backstab you and then send her father to ask for the money!!! love you, you strong, confident woman!!! lyd