Friday, May 9, 2008

Officer MacDonald

Oh where do I start - Last night at 1130 L woke me up to tell me that there was a police officer in our living room and that he needed to talk to me. That's right! I was a little disoriented and L wasn't making a whole lot of sense so I got up - looked down the hall - and yup there was an officer standing with the "stray" L had brought home and had been staying in our house since Monday. He introduced himself as Officer MacDonald with the Black Diamond police. He asked me if I knew that she was a runaway! No I didn't. Did I know that I could be arrested for harbouring a runaway? I just stared. He asked me if a person named Collin had been here? I had to think about that one a bit - oh yeah Colin is Panda's real name - so yes he had been here. Officer MacDonald told me that that was not a good thing. Did I know that Bre was only 15 and that Colin was 20? He then asked me how old L was - she will be 18 on Sunday. He looked at L and said she was old enough to know that there was something going on. L said she didn't know that Bre was a runaway - that Bre had told her and Colin that her Mom knew where she was and that she just needed some space. Bre told the cop that we didn't know. He said she had left a note on a mirror telling her Mom she was leaving. She had been missing since Monday. All this time L had been on the phone and Bre was stuffing clothes in her backpack and putting her jeans on over her shorts. Officer asked L if it was Colin on the phone and told her to hang up. Then he had Bre hold out her arms and he checked her pockets to make sure there wasn't anything in them - had her put her belt in her backpack - and then he cuffed her. He then said to me that there was more going on here than just a simple runaway and off they went.

L hugged me and said she had no idea that Bre was a runaway - she would never do anything that would get me in trouble. I then asked her how they knew Bre was at our house. Bre's Mom had been calling Colin's cell to find Bre and he wouldn't tell her where she was. The cops then called him and took him in to custody. In order to save himself from getting into too much more trouble he told them he knew where she was and directed them to our house. He rode in the squad car and showed them where we lived. L said her and Bre were out on the back deck and heard someone knocking on the door. They didn't answer it - Colin called L's cell phone and asked her where they were - she said at home - he said you need to answer the door - she thought it was him so they opened the door to find the cop. He then asked if a parent was home and that's when she came and woke me up.

After the cop left L said that Colin may have to come up and stay with us for the night - I said uh NO WAY! She said that he didn't have his car and that the cops were going to just let him go up here. I told her I didn't think they were going to do that and even if they did he was not welcome to stay in our house. Ends up that Colin left with the cops. I told L that she needed to stop bringing home the strays because next time it might not turn out like this that we could both be in trouble.

When I woke up this morning I didn't remember what had happened for the first few seconds and then it all came rushing back - I was like OMG! Before I left for work I checked in on L in her room - yup - she was the only one in there sound asleep.

Time for work!

De

No comments: