Thursday, January 29, 2009

Shake Up

Today was a weird day - it was an "in case you didn't know the economy sucks, let me hit you upside the head" day.

Got to work at 7 - around 9 I wondered a little about where Matt was (my manager) - he's usually in around 845. I was then called in to an office where they explained a few things about the economy and our company - and then told me that Matt had been laid off. This came as a huge shock to me and others in the department. I'm still in a state of shock - also a state of stress. When your manager isn't safe from the economy it makes you start to wonder if you yourself are safe. I have never been through layoffs like this before. When I worked for Western we had layoffs when the company was bought out - but we were given 3 months notice and in my case 9 months. We had time to prepare and figure out what we wanted to do. This type of layoff is like getting fired - you're told you are done, your security is revoked, and you're given a box to pack your belongings in. I started looking at my desk today - I don't think all my crap will fit in one box!

I baked tonight but that didn't help relax me like it usually does. So - I am going to head to bed - read my People Magazine - get some sleep - Thank God that I still have a job right now - get up and face tomorrow.

De

No comments: