Tuesday, January 20, 2009

New Day - New Hope - New Game

Got up this morning and decided it was going to be a good day! Left the house at a good time this morning - 5:50 - not early enough to catch the 5:54 bus so I decided to drive in and made excellent time - pulled in to the parking lot at 6:30! I really, really, like getting to work so early. I was able to leave work today at 2:45 which gave me a lot of time when I got home this evening.

Work as a whole started late today - we all gathered around computers and watched the Inauguration and listened to President Obama's speech. I was thinking this morning about other Inaugurations and realized I don't remember watching any others - if someone were to ask me, before today, what comes to mind when you hear Inauguration I would say The Inauguration Day Storm back in 1995! It was very interesting to me that so many people were gathered around to watch this one - when Putbory got to work she said it was so quiet out on the streets of Seattle when she walked in to the building - everyone must have been glued to their screens. I could not believe how many people were actually in Washington DC - I have been there and remember the long walk across the mall from the Capital Building to the Washington Monument -and that area was completely covered with people. When they showed the spot where the new Vice President and President were going to stand to take their oath I felt a little awed - I have stood there - I have pictures of both my Mom and I each standing there. So - 900 came around and there we were - all watching our screens to see history being made - I felt excitement and hope as I watched and listened. I wonder if this is how my parent's generation felt when they saw JFK sworn in as President. The feeling that you are witnessing something absolutely historic and with so much hope and promise.

I got home today before 400 and decided to take Muppet outside - it was light out and I was full of energy and the motivation to walk. I put on her leash and we headed out. She was excited at first - then she realized we were actually going to walk somewhere and not just a quick out and back. The walk now turned in to a new game/exercise that I have named Walk-Tug-Drag! I believe when most dog owners play this game the Tug and Drag part are done by the dog with the owner hanging on for dear life - not with Muppet! The Tug and Drag part were me trying to get her to keep walking and to stop sitting down! This was not just once - not just twice - but for most of the walk!! I would get her to go for a bit and then she would stop - plant her back feet firmly on the ground - and refuse to move any further. This would start the Tugging of the leash - eventually she would start walking again. Towards the end of the walk the Tug turned into a Drag! She sat down on the ground and refused to get up and move even when I tugged on the leash - this resulted in her being dragged across the ground! At one point she was able to wiggle out of her collar and she just gave me a look as if she was laughing at me and saying - Now What Are You Going To Do - she should have gotten up and started walking away instead of sitting there giving me the look because I was able to just grab her and put the leash back on. We finally made it back home and she has been sacked out ever since! Not sure how much cardio exercise I got on this walk but I think my arms got a good work out from tugging on the leash.

De

1 comment:

putbory said...

Silly Muppet! Have you tried bribing her with treats on the walk? I bet that would get her moving! :) Just give her a treat everytime she catches up to you. Make sure it's an EXTRA good treat though, something she doesn't usually get. I give Buckley sliced deli turkey or imported provolone cheese (which I only happened to find out he LOVED b/c I had accidently dropped a few slices on the floor and figured, might as well let the dog eat it!)