Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Cinematic Classic . . . . . I Don't Get It

During my 40+ years I have heard raves about a movie - many times people have quoted the movie and cracked up laughing - when I tell people I have never seen this movie they are shocked and say You must watch it. It is great. It was a discount rent pick on iTunes $.99 - I decided to rent it and see what all the hullabaloo was all about. What movie am I talking about . . . . . . . Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

I like John Cleese - I enjoyed watching him in Fawlty Towers and A Fish Called Wanda. I like English Humor. This movie though has left me scratching my head and wondering WTH! This had to be one of the dumbest movies I have ever seen - even worse than Napoleon Dynamite which is another 2 hours of my life I will never get back. I just didn't get it. I heard all the little sayings that people would quote - "What are you going to do, bleed on me?" (said with an English accent), "Runaway, Runaway", "We are the Knights who say . . . . NI", "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries" - they say these things and then just start laughing. I'm telling you - they're not that funny - not in the movie or when other people say them. I was telling Putbory how stupid this movie was and David was like - great movie - I said I didn't get it and then quoted the line "What are you going to do Bleed on me" He started laughing. I'm thinking this might be a guy thing. If I remember correctly it was mostly guys back in high school that talked about this movie. I didn't find it funny or entertaining - the ending was really stupid - I can't believe I wasted 2 hours on this. But, if you think Englishman galloping around on pretend horses and talking about things that don't make sense is hilarious then this movie is for you. And when you start quoting the movie I will just shake my head - roll my eyes - and runaway runaway!

De

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Monty Python and the Holy Grail...it's a guy thing...I don't think you're supposed to "get it".

Crawfords said...

Oh Diana, now you've gone and done it. Monty Python and the Holy Grail is the Holy Grail of, well, Holy Grails! It's fantastic. I think you're onto something though, it is just me and the guys who countlessly rehash this most blessed of all movies. It's just not for the female gender. But, may I add, that I didn't really "get it" after just one viewing either. It does get better each time you watch it though. It has to grow on you. I tend to have the same problem with Jim Carey movies (I'm thinking Ace Ventura days, etc.) By no means should you ever waste another second of your life on Napoleon Dynamite though. That movie really is dumb!