Monday, November 3, 2008

Creepy Crawly

Last night there was something flying around the living room - I thought it was a fly or possibly a bee - it found it's way into a lamp and buzzed around the light bulb. When it was time for bed I didn't want to turn out the light until I knew for sure what it was. So I grabbed a chair to stand on so I could look down in to the lamp - It was not a fly or a bee - it was some weird looking beetle type bug. I have seen these outside before and I know they like to come in to L's room when her window is open because she has a hole in her screen and they can crawl in through that. I was not going to turn out the light and head to bed though because I would worry all night that it would crawl out of the lamp and then I wouldn't know where it was. I got a container and a lid and tried to scoop it out. That is when I noticed something very strange about this bug - the more I touched it and pissed it off the more it started to emit a very strange odor - it smelled like apples - and not just a slight smell of apples - it was a strong smell like a Jolly Rancher Sour Apple Candy. No - I was not imagining things - when I got to work this morning I googled bug that smells like apples and low and behold there it was - The Western Conifer Seed Bug - aka Whirligig Beetle and Striped Shield Bug.

Colleen and Lindsay were in New York over the weekend - Colleen ran in the NYC Marathon on Sunday. This morning they went to the Today Show - I set my DVR to record it just in case they were on TV. They were!! They were in the beginning pan shot at 800 and then when Al Roker was talking to a runner - Colleen was standing right next him. I couldn't keep the show on my DVR indefinitely so I rewound to the opening shot - paused it when Colleen and Lindsay were on screen - took a picture! It's like we were there with them! Well - except for the green DVR bar at the bottom.


I went to Target after work today - I now have 4 plastic storage bins - shampoo for the carpet - Febreeze for the mattresses. I did very well at Target - stuck to my list and didn't impulse buy anything. I am ready for the next step of cleaning up the 2nd bedroom.

De

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

ummm why couldn't you keep mom and i on your DVR forever?? haha