Thursday, October 23, 2008

I'm Ready To Get Off This Ride

I'm not sure where to start - I guess I will start where I ended last night. The locks were changed by 930 last night. I went around the house and double checked to make sure all of the windows and the back door were locked - I gathered up my ID - money - new keys - computer - put them under my pillow. My pillow was on the couch as I decided to curl up out there to try and get some sleep - I was anticipating L to return to the house even though I had sent her a message not to return home. She showed up around 230 - knocking on the door and calling the home phone number - I let her in the house to get her work clothes. She informed me that I can't just kick her out because she pays rent so I have to give her 30 days notice - I reminded her that we didn't have written lease agreement so I didn't have to give her any notice - she tried to argue and I told her that if she wanted to play it as landlord and tenant then I would be calling the police to report that she had stolen money from me. She then tried to argue that she needed time to be able to get her "shit" together - my response was to tell her to pack up what she needed for the next few days and then we could make arrangement for her to come by on Sunday to pack up whatever else she needed. The conversation ended with me letting her sleep here last night. I moved my stuff in to my bedroom and stuffed everything under my pillow again.

This morning I went in to work late so I could be in the house the whole time until L left for work. I overheard her crying - well sobbing - on the phone talking to someone about how I was making her leave right now - not giving her any notice - and how it was so unfair. She then came to my room and handed me the phone - yup even at the age of 18 when she doesn't like something that I am doing "to" her she calls her Dad. He of course decided to be the concerned parent and wanted to know what was going on - I asked him if she had let him know during her sob story that she had stolen money from me the last 2 nights - oh gee she had left that part out. He said he figured there had to be more to the story and that's why he was talking to me - he was just trying to understand what was going on up here. I told him what had led up to the decision to her having to leave and I told him I couldn't trust her to be in the house anymore. He asked me if she had some place to go and I responded that it wasn't my problem and that if he wanted to come up here to get her be my guest. I then gave the phone back to L. She left for work and then I left for work. She called about 5 min later to say work was giving her the day off to try and pull herself together - was I still at home so she could come grab some stuff. I let her know I was on my way to work and she could come by when I got back home.

I spent the day at work worrying about what the confrontation was going to be like when she came by tonight. It ended up being anti-climactic. She came by with Megan - grabbed her suitcase - asked again if she could come by on Sunday - then she left. The only suspicious thing she did was to open her bedroom window a crack - her screen doesn't fit in the window very well so it would be very easy for her to climb on the railing and try to get in the house. So - after she left with Megan went back in to her room and closed and locked her window again. When I got home tonight I did notice that her screen was pulled away from the window - I believe that when I was at work she tried to break into the house by climbing in through her window only to discover that I had closed and locked it. Another suspicious thing was that on the caller id on the home phone I showed a call from the property manager around 1130 but no message was left. I wonder if he was calling to see if I was home - maybe he saw L trying to get in. I called his number this evening and left a message to see if everything was all right seeing as he hadn't left a message and to also inform him that L no longer lived here so not to help her to get in the house. I will definitely be making a sweep of the doors and windows again to make sure everything is locked up tight when I head off to work in the morning.

Time to try and get some sleep.

De

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My 2 cents...You don't owe Alan an explanation about anything. Maybe it's time for Alan to step up and do something.