Thursday, March 6, 2008

Crashing Down

Last night L came home around 11, woke me up to let me know she was home safe (which she hasn't done in quite awhile), and told me she needed to talk. She apologized for the way she had been acting and especially for everything that had gone on over the past 2 weeks - she said she was really sorry about how she had treated me and how things had started to get out of control. She said she needed to tell me something and wanted me to not get mad. She had gotten back into drugs again and things had started to really spiral out of control. She had been back into Ecstasy for over a month. She said she never wanted to do any of that stuff ever again. Her friend Kyle was kicked out of his house last night and I think the realization that parents actually do that and that being homeless because of your choices and actions was a real possibility helped her to come crashing back down to earth. We talked about how she is an addict and can't just smoke pot every couple weekends because eventually it won't be enough for her and she will move on to other things. She agreed and says she doesn't want to do any of that stuff ever again.

Today she called me during her break at work crying and telling me she just wanted to be at home and she was having a hard time. I didn't know about the side effects of Ecstasy - anxiety, paranoia, depression, sleep problems, loss of appetite, and dehydration. Did you know that it can take up to 3 days for a person to "come down" form Ecstasy and that these side effects can get increasingly worse over those days? Did you know that this drug burns little holes in your brain causing it to be unable to produce serotonin which is what causes the increased sadness? All new and scary to me. Another side effect she has been having are bloody noses due to the fact that her and her friends were snorting the Ecstasy. I will keep an eye on that and if it doesn't start to get better we will be taking a trip to the doctors office.

So far tonight she has been on a more even keel. I haven't been able to get her to eat though - side effect loss of appetite - because of the partying she did this past weekend she lost close to 10 pounds! Not good at all.

Goals for this weekend - continue to be here for her and let her talk things through and try to get some nutritional food in her.

I will continue to keep you posted. Keep us both in your thoughts as we work our way through this and hopefully come out on the other side stronger.

De

No comments: