Thursday, December 11, 2008

Niki - Update

It has been a very long day today. I got Niki to the dentist at 800 and Dr Matson examined her to decide what all needed to be done. I have to say - he is the first Vet I have met that has a really good bedside manner. He walked in to the room and started talking to Niki right away and petting her and making sure she was comfortable with him - then he introduced himself to me. Niki seemed to like him and started purring up a storm. She was purring so loudly that he couldn't hear her heart beat - did you know that when you take a cat in to a dark room they stop purring? He took her in to the bathroom and it worked - he was able to listen to her heart. Then came the looking in the mouth part. Niki was not happy - you could really tell it was hurting her a lot. He did make a comment about the nasty odor coming from her mouth! That should be gone not that there isn't anywhere for the bacteria to hide - yup - they had to extract all of her teeth.

I left her with the vet dentist and headed in to work - got there at 9 which wasn't too bad - that's what time most of the department gets there anyways. I tried to concentrate on work but I did find myself constantly checking my cell phone to see if I had missed a call. At around 200 I called the vet to check up on her and was told they were just finishing up with her and Dr Matson would call me when it was done. At 245 I decided to run across the street to get a sandwich - yup - as soon as I wasn't watching the phone they called - I must have been on the elevator because it went straight to voicemail. Niki was still very groggy - enjoying the drugs Dr Matson said! When he got in to her mouth he discovered a thick mass under her tongue - so he had to cut that out and suture her tongue back together. When I went in to pick her up he showed me pictures of what her mouth looks like so I won't be tempted to open her mouth and look in. When she comes home she is going to have to be separated from the rest of the animals for 2 weeks so that Buffy doesn't lick her and make the stitches come out - makes my tailbone twitch!!

Niki wasn't doing real well coming out of the drugs so he said she needed to stay at a 24 hour care facility over night - so I paid my bill with Dr Matson (1890) and headed to Alpine Hospital in Issaquah to drop Niki there and pay another bill (deposit of 176). This cat has become the most expensive pet in the family!

Dr Matson and the staff at Eastside Veterinary Dentistry are wonderful. They took such care with Niki and kept me informed on everything that was going on. Dr Matson called Alpine Hospital to set it up there for Niki to spend the night and told me that he will call there tonight to check on her. On the take home papers they gave me his cell phone is listed in case I have any questions or concerns once Niki is back home. You can tell that they all love the animals there and that this isn't just a job. Thank You Dr Matson for taking care of Niki and assuring me that I was doing the right thing.

De

No comments: