Thursday, December 4, 2008

Magic

It seems that the older I get the more I seem to have lost the magic that was once Christmas. I remember 3 weeks before Christmas I could hardly contain myself - the tree would be up - the lights would be on the house - and it didn't seem like Christmas could get here fast enough. Now it seems that Christmas gets here too fast - between closing out November and getting ready for year end - trying to come up with that something special to give your family - I just don't get that magical anticipation that I had. The innocence of childhood lost to all of the responsibilities of adulthood.

Then today I got to work at 630 and the lights were still out on our floor - which I love - and I looked out the window by my desk down onto Westlake Center and Macy's. There was that magic right before my eyes! It was in the bright light of the Macy's Star lit up in the dark morning and shining as bright as I believe the North Star shown on that beautiful night so long ago. Next to Macy's is Westlake Center where the city's Christmas Tree is all lit up - looking like it had been decorated with the kisses of angels and the glitter of fallen snow. And throughout the city all the trees lining the street had white lights in them to shine all around. Standing in the darkness of my office looking down at this scene I took a deep breath - This is the magic of Christmas.




1 comment:

Crawfords said...

I don't think I've ever appreciated more your prowess for writing. This was an amazing post. As I think back, I recall a few posts in the past that really stick out in my mind as being especially well written and/or creative. I'll take the liberty of pointing out that none of these memorable posts revolve around L and her antics. Keep that in mind for future ideas. Your best writing happens when you're not bogged down in the day-to-day struggles of life and let your mind free to wander the expanses of the universe.