Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I Think I was In Africa

I just got home from my date with Lydia - we went to see The Lion King - The Musical. OMG!! It was incredible! I wasn't sure how I was going to like it - I am a big fan of the movie. I couldn't quite picture in my head how they were going to portray all the different animals. My favorite part of the movie is the beginning when all the animals come to see the presentation of Simba and I didn't think they would be able to capture that on a small stage. Boy was I mistaken. The animals come down from the wings on the stage and down the aisles. The giraffes were huge and I can't even describe the elephant that came right by where we were sitting. Through out the whole production I would forget that there were people up there - I would focus on the animal heads and not the actor that was saying the words and making the movements. The opening sent chills down my spine and towards the end when Simba hears his father Mufasa talk to him I got tears in my eyes - The way they made the shapes come together so that Mufasa's face appears was magical - even better than the growing tree in the Pacific Northwest Ballet's Nutcracker. The stage show stays true to the movie and brings it to life in such a way that you feel like you are in Africa witnessing this story. If you ever get the chance to see this you absolutely must go!

I think the next musical on our list to go see is Wicked - it is playing in September. The only problem with that is Lydia is expecting her first child - that I am calling Widget for the time being - at the end of August. Hopefully she can let Ron take the baby for a few hours so she can get out and we can go. I have heard all good things about Wicked - I read the book and really liked it.

It is late and I need to get some sleep - 430 will be here very soon.

De

**Oh - I got my new sweatshirt in the mail today. I am a huge fan of Twilight and I got a hooded sweatshirt from Forks High School with the name Cullen on the back!***

1 comment:

Crawfords said...

I saw the sweatshirt and didn't get it. I guess that's what I get for being the only literate person in the country who hasn't read these books yet. I absolutely refuse to read them until I own all of them. So far I've only procured book 1, so I have a ways to go, especially since I'd prefer them in paperback and books 3 and 4 haven't come out in paperback yet. Sigh.