Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Wow . . . . . . That's About All I Can Say

Just when I thought I had heard the end of this things come back full force.  Weeks ago I wrote about how someone form my high school days had come unglued when they saw I was going to join the Mormon Church.  He left a post on the Joyful Noise Group on FaceBook - no one really joined in with him in berating me for my decision.  A few days ago I finally responded to what he posted.  Then today on my bus ride home I opened up my email . . . I hadn't had a chance to look at it all day due to working on Payroll which is a whole nother post . . . .anyways - I opened my email and there had been a firestorm of comments to the post.  I was going to copy the whole string and paste it here but when I got home and went out to the Joyful Noise Group the owner of the group had removed the whole string.  So I am going to try and do some cut and paste form my email and see if I can get it all on here.  Again - you will notice - that Kevin is the only one who has anything horrible to say.

Original Post

Kevin 11:11pm Oct 19
Folks. we're losing one of our own. D  has lost her faith and has turned to the Mormon church. If you have a few moments to drop her a note and let her know that we're here... I don't know. I just hate to see folks lost like that.
Comment History

3:34pm Nov 9
When joining the facebook group for Joyful Noise was first suggested to me, I was interested in seeing what some of you have been up to over the years (for those of whom I haven't become official fb friends of). And, I still am.

De 8:11pm Nov 7
I don't think I am "straying" - I have found a church that has accepted me and makes me feel like family. I am sorry that some people think of this as a bad thing and feel like I have lost my faith. I feel like I have gained more faith with this decision and am very happy.

P 6:38pm Nov 7
Wow! Really talking about "straying" like this?

J 5:45pm Oct 24
♥ ....we need to remember to reach out to each other and pray for each other ♥

J 5:35pm Oct 24
Let's all try to remember this...we all fall short and stray in our own ways...we're human. The WoNdErFuL blessing of a life with Christ as our Savior is, HE loves us all ♥ and will NeVeR leave us.

Previous comments have been removed along with the post.  Here are the ones that were posted today:


J 4:38pm Nov 9
uggg....to continue :-/ I was quite shocked by what I would consider to be a VeRy inappropriate posting by Kevin. I am deeply saddened and have felt a constant nudging to respond. I don't know who he (Kevin) is or even care what his intentions may have been. To me, the posting was directed to only humiliate and hurt "one of our own". However, I DO know this. A public post of this type, no matter what the subject, is wrong. I believe as Christians, we are called to love EvErYone. We are NoT called to act as Christ's judge and jury. We may be ThE person...who can; by our words and actions, cause someone to desire and turn to a life in Christ OR cause someone to turn around and run away. As I said in an earlier post, "We ALL fall short..." I know that I blow it far too often. Thus by the Grace and Power and Love of a Living God, I can ask for forgiveness (especially when I know that I have hurt someone). In community, I do believe we need to take the time to show up for each other, be accountable, reach out and pray. One of our daughters served with the organization, Mission Year. Their mission statement is simple. "Love God. Love people. Nothing else matters." ♥

Jo 6:26pm Nov 9
My hope is that everyone feels welcome to use this group as a place to connect with old friends from OSLC, to share news about our lives and to find out where life has taken us. I want everyone to feel welcome here, and to use it for that purpose. I don't want anyone feeling this is not a place for them because of their current faith or position in life. Please keep this in mind as you continue to use this group. And may everyone find connecting with old friends as rewarding as I have!

J 6:33pm Nov 9
Thank you Jo ♥

K 7:12pm Nov 9
J, had Diana been joining a Satanic cult, would my heartfelt cry of despair and request for help been "appropriate" enough for you? As far as I'm concerned, there's NO difference. Feel free to be offended.
K 8:06pm Nov 9
At what point did I ever suggest that someone wasn't welcome here? Are you saying that we're only allowed to talk about ourselves here? Seriously, one of our OSLC alums has done a complete faith 180 and all you want me to say is: "Hi, I went to college, got married, have 2 lovely daughters and work at Drugstore.com"?? Give me a break, John.
Jo 8:19pm Nov 9
That is exactly what I created the group for Kevin. You are more than welcome to create a group to discuss theology, if you wish.
K 8:26pm Nov 9
You're right, John. If *I* had created this Joyful Noise alumni group, I, too, would expect everyone to only say what *I* want them to say. But since *you* created it, I'll retract everything I've said so far. Oh wait... no I won't. D may feel "happy" and she may think she's found a "family", but she's wrong. I don't care how tolerant YOU want to be, I can't stand watching God's children go to hell.

And this was the last comment - the whole post was removed after that.
De

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It makes me sad that people can be so hateful and call themselves a "christian". I'm pretty sure in the bible is says that no one is should be capable of judging someone else because no one is even close to being as perfect as God is! It sounds more like he has grown up in a "cult" if he is being so hateful and telling people who is going to Hell, because no one knows who is going, it is your own personal relationship with God, and no one can ever know how good that relationship is because they aren't you! stay strong! love you! Krystina