Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Today's Word . . . . . . Frustration

I'm not really sure how to start this one.  I had a frustrating day today and I am trying to figure out how to put the reason why into words.

There are Pros and Cons to just about everything in life but I never thought of Cons for being good at something.  I have worked in my field for 18 years - I feel I am very good at my job and knowledgeable of how to do it.  I like what I do but I certainly don't want that to be it - I would like to be challenged a little - use my brain - cuz come on - doesn't take a lot of brain activity to do data entry and to stuff envelopes.  Back in January it was indicated to me that this year I would get the chance to do more analysis - get out of the day-to-day data entry - work my brain.  That has not happened yet - I even voiced my concerns about where things were going to my immediate manager but again - nothing came of it.  Well - this week we were told about some changes happening within the department - people making some moves to new positions.  One of the people moving is my manager - which opens up a space for a Manager of Disbursements - someone who knows a lot about what I do but with more analysis responsibilities - Perfect for some growth . . . . . . nope . . . . . . .they went outside the company and are bringing in someone new - never even let the department know that this position was opening up.  Frustrated!!!

Tonight I went in and spoke to someone about my concerns - started out with "Where do you see me going in this company?"  Uh . . . . . . . .where is this coming from?  I explained everything that I was thinking/feeling and voiced my concerns that I was not being given an opportunity to learn and grow within the department/company.  I was then told that they need someone to be in my position and that I have the knowledge and skill set for it . . . . . see - the Con to being good at something - they don't want to replace you so you don't get the opportunity to move up.  Trying to make me feel better about this it was explained to me how I am training to be the back-up for Payroll and learning more about that position which will add to my skill set . . . . .well great . . . . . and that helps me out how . . . . . the payroll person isn't leaving anytime soon so the only way this skill set helps me is if I am looking for a position outside the company!  Yeah - didn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy about them wanting to promote me up within the department.  About this point the frustration was getting to me - which cause tears - and I hate crying in meetings so I wanted to get out of there but I still had one more thing to say - I left them with this . . . . I feel like it's always the same couple of people in the department who are getting the opportunities to move up and grow and that those of us on my level are always going to stay on this level.  Meeting over - logged out of my computer - went home. 

I just don't know what to do.  I hate feeling like this because I do like the people I work with - I would just like to feel that the levels above me think I have a brain in my head and can handle the work that is done above me - I think I can do analysis - I think I can research why we have changes in numbers - but I'm not being given a chance because they only think of me as doing what I've been doing for 4 years.

I do have a brain - I'm not an idiot - just because I don't have an accounting degree doesn't mean I can't handle accounting work.

De

1 comment:

Tony said...

Sorry to hear you are frustrated in your current job. Here are some tidbits of advice. If you want to discuss you’ve got my number.

First of all my theory is if you work for someone you will always put up with some percentage of crap. As an individual you need to determine what % of crap you’ll put up with. If the % gets too high you should think about moving to another company.

Is there someone at the Executive (Director or VP) level that you can use as a mentor to help you get to the next level of job that you want? If yes, ask this person, “what specific things can I improve on to reach my professional goals?“ I did this once and was surprised by the answer I received. It was very enlightening and helped me get to my current management position.

What proactive things do you do that lets upper management know that you are ready for the next position. By proactive things I mean things that ARE NOT part of your regular job. For instance, you said you’d like to be challenged and have a job with more analysis responsibilities. What types of analyses or projects have you provided to management that show case your analysis skills?

Do you see things in the Accounting / Finance area that could be improved? Have you documented these items in writing and sent them to management? These types of documents let management know that you have brains and are thinking.

What things have you developed and implemented to improve the efficiency of the area that you currently work in? Did you document these improvements to management? Make sure you highlight your accomplishments.