Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Losing The Interaction

What did we do before portable music and phones?  Did we talk to people more?  Did we pay attention to things around us?  Why don't we want to interact with each other?

The other day I was out walking Chrissy - we took the small loop around through Summerwalk and then down by the ball field.  As I watched people walk by I noticed that they all had ear buds in - either from an mp3 player or their phone.  I started thinking about the people I see on the bus and walking around downtown - the majority have things in their ears!  What are we tuning out?  What are we trying to avoid?

I know I put my buds in on the bus to avoid talking to anyone - I put them in when I'm at work to tune out the people around me - I wear them on walks to keep myself entertained. 

I went on another walk with Chrissy and this time I didn't wear my headphones - I listened to the sounds around me - birds, other people, dogs, the wind.  I found myself paying attention to the things around me.  The next step is to ride the bus and pay attention to what goes on around me. 

 What are your thoughts?  Are you trying to avoid things?

De

1 comment:

Tony said...

I listen to my IPOD at the gym to keep from getting bored while I'm on the eliptical, treadmill, bike, etc. Time flies by at the gym because of my IPOD.