Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Peachy Keen

I love this time of year - you can get so many good fruits - fresh and juicy. Last week I got a box of peaches - not just a few peaches - but an 18 pound box of peaches!  They were picked from the tree - put in the box - and delivered directly to me the same day from Valicoff Farms in Yakima WA.  They were in various stages of ripeness - some ready to eat right then and some that would be ready in a week or so - which is nice cuz really - who could eat 18 pounds of peaches!  I planned on using most of them for baking.  I like Peach Crisp! 

Baking time was tonight!  L helped me peel and slice up the peaches - I then did the rest.  The mixing up of the crumbly sweet topping - the layering in the pan - and the staying up until it is done baking.  It is taking a little longer than I thought to bake because some of the peaches were a little crunchy so they need some extra cooking time to get tender.  I made one crisp in a 9 x 11 pan to bring in to work tomorrow and then a smaller one for L and I to share.  I also have a big tub of cool whip for work tomorrow - heated up crisp with cool whip . . . . . . . . yummy!!!!!

I had to do the baking tonight because Jason is going to be on vacation starting Friday and all next week - I couldn't bring in my Peach Crisp when he's on vacation - he's my taste tester!!

OK - crisp just came out of the oven and the smaller one I made for L and I has cooled off enough - here goes the test bite . . . . . . . . peaches are warm and tender . . . . . crisp has the right amount of crunch . . . . . . . . very flavorful . . . . . . might be a bit too much nutmeg or else I just have a taste bud for it . . . . . . . . . pretty good though overall.

Time for bed!

De

1 comment:

Crawfords said...

Peach Crisp was indeed fantastic! Thanks for bringing in today too. Very much appreciated.