Sunday, May 31, 2009

My Opinion

Jon & Kate +8 - I have watched this show from the beginning. Absolutely think the kids are adorable! The twins remind me of my nieces! The six little ones are cute, funny, and each have their own personalities.
In the beginning they came across as a struggling family who wanted to try and have a normal life with their kids. Jon went to work, Kate was home with the kids. Kate was a frazzled mom who didn't have time to go and do anything for herself. There was one episode I remember where they got a babysitter so Jon could take Kate out shopping for clothes for herself - Jon had to pick them out for her because she knew nothing about style. She didn't have time to get her hair cut - she was so surprised and appreciative whenever anyone or a company gave them something - she really came across like she appreciated everything she got. Kate was always bossy and liked to have things the way she wanted them - would playfully hit Jon when he said or did something she didn't like - but you could always tell that they loved each other - they laughed and smiled.

Now to today - I watched the season premier last week - like millions of other people - wanting to see the train wreck that this family has become. Given my past I am sure most people would expect me to hate Jon and think that what he has done is horrible and think - oh poor Kate. Nope - I feel for Jon! Kate has changed from this loving stay at home mom who didn't know anything about style to this reality star diva who goes around in designer clothes - jet setting all over - with a body guard!

There were so many things that irritated me in the show last week - how Kate played the martyr - whining about having to take the kids to go shopping for the birthday party about herself - oh gee, she kinda forgot to mention that she had been out of town on a book tour and Jon had been with the kids by himself - give the guy a break, why would he want to go shopping with you - we have all seen how those trips go - Jon does something to make the kids laugh or wanders to where Kate doesn't want him and she starts yelling for him in the store and telling him how stupid he is. Hmm. . . . .wonder why he didn't want to go. On the interview parts not once did I hear her take any responsibility for what happened - it was all about how Jon had changed and how she was just trying to do what was right for the kids - that all she could say was that she was here and here for her kids. I don't think Jon has changed much - I think he has just gotten worn down from being berated all the time and having cameras in the house 24/7. I see Kate as having changed more than anyone - she is all about her celebrity and what she can get out of it.

Don't get me wrong - even though I feel for Jon and think he had lots of good reason for wanting to be away from all that - I don't think it's OK for anyone to have an affair - if you don't want to be in the marriage anymore - you get out and then start dating - not the other way around. I also think both parents were blinded by the fame and all the things they were getting for free - trips, tickets, houses, etc. . . . I just think that Jon has come to his senses and realized that this isn't what he wants anymore and that it's not good for his family. Kate can't see past her own ego! She needs to stop thinking about just herself and see what all of this is doing to the kids.

The saddest part - when little Alexis told Jon "Daddy, I don't want you to leave anymore"

The most uncomfortable part - Jon and Kate sitting on the couch together - yet not really.

Oh - and I need to say this - I absolutely hate Kate's hair!!!

That's just my opinion - what's yours?

De

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Totally agree with you De De!!!

Colleen said...

I so don't agree with you. I think its more of a role reversal. She has decided to have a career and is being punished for it.
He doesn't want to do anything, he complains because she is gone (which is what a wife would do if the husband was away on his job all the time.). Jon get a JOB! Find something you want to do.

The excuse that you got married and started a family young and never had a chance to go out is a lame excuse for now finding the need to hit the bars. You made the decision ( like a lot of us did) to get married and have kids, Deal with it.

I don't want to come across like Kate hasn't done anything wrong but I'm tired of everybody saying its all Kate's fault.
And I like her hair!
There thats my 2 cents, I'm not as good as you are about putting my feelings in writing, this is about as good as its going to get. :-)