Friday, June 12, 2009

In Need . . . or . . . Con Artists

I have been working in downtown Seattle for three years now. In that time I have seen a fair amount of homeless panhandlers. But, are all panhandlers homeless or have they just found a great job where they can make money tax-free – and how do you tell the difference between them. There are the regulars that have been in the same spot for the three years I have worked in downtown.

The older gentleman on Pike between 4th and 5th – he doesn’t talk, holds his hat out for “donations”, says thank you in a very quiet voice if you give him money. He has worn the same clothes everyday – has had the same duffle bag/backpack. He is very clean – groomed well – clothes always look fresh. So – is he really homeless and just knows where to go to keep clean or this is his “job” and he goes home to a nice warm house at the end of the day.

The very thin gentleman that is at the end of the James St exit – the first time I saw him he held a sign saying he had AIDS and any little bit would help. He looks very gaunt – keeps his eyes closed – and will weakly raise his arm as if trying to wave at you. I felt very sorry for him and I hadn’t seen him for awhile until this past week. But his sign has changed now and says he had a stroke and any little bit would help. Either he is a very unlucky soul who has suffered medical problems or he has just found a unique way to get people to give him money.

The older lady that sits in a wheelchair with bags of belongings hanging off the back and her dog’s leash tied to one of the arms. She too has had many changing signs. Two years ago it said she was pregnant and on her own now it says something about wanting to be able to take care of her dog.

Then there are the creative ones. Yesterday I came upon a guy whose sign read “Be Aware I Am Asking for Money to Buy Marijuana”! Hey – at least he was honest and letting you know what the money was going to go for. There was a guy who used to be outside Westlake Center and his sign read “Need Money for Karate Lessons. My Father Was Killed By Ninjas”. The young people who use their talent and perform with musical instruments or even just drumming out beats on overturned plastic buckets.

There are some in your face annoying ones. The guy who stands on 5th between Pike and Pine outside the T-Mobile store. He has a box lid that he shakes and puts in front of you as you try to walk by and makes comments if you don’t give him any money. The teenagers who sit on the sidewalks with a cup and make rude comments when you walk by.

Lastly, there are the true homeless people that aren’t asking for anything. In the morning I walk by them lying in the doorways of stores on cardboard, covered with old blankets, and all of their belongings around them. I see them walking on the streets talking to themselves, digging in trash cans, or just sitting on their backpacks.

How do you tell if they are really in need or just trying to work the sympathies of the busy people walking by them? Do you just not give money to any of them? Do you try to give money to the true homeless that aren’t asking for anything?

Your thoughts –
De

1 comment:

Crawfords said...

"And if ye judge the man who putteth up his petition to you for your substance that he perish not, and condemn him, how much more just will be your condemnation for withholding your substance, which doth not belong to you but to God, to whom also your life belongeth; and yet ye put up no petition, nor repent of the thing which thou hast done. "

Yet, I too find myself not imparting of my substance to those I come in contact with in the streets. I do, however, make sure I donate funds every month through the church so I know it's truly going to the needy. In this way I am imparting of my substance which God has given me and don't have the least bit of guilt not handing out money freely to the street panhandlers.