Thursday, July 8, 2010

IMHO

There was a comment left on my last blog entry that I would like to respond to. Here is the comment:


IMHO, You need to spend more time out meeting people and less time sitting at home with your pets.

First thing I had to do was ask L what IMHO meant - In My Honest Opinion - Then I had to think about it. My first response was that of hurt feelings - I mean - this person doesn't know me.  Then I thought I should respond and help Anonymous know me and open up the blog to suggestions.

Anonymous – IMHO – it’s always easy to have an opinion when you are anonymous - if you have an honest opinion and you want to have an honest conversation about this maybe you can leave me a name so I know who I’m talking to. I would love to go out and meet people – Where do you suggest I go and how do I go about this. If you have an opinion then hopefully you also have suggestions on what I can do. So where does a single woman in her mid-forties, who is a little nervous/shy until she gets to know people, go by herself to meet new people that isn’t going to cost much money?

• I looked into Events and Adventures but I do not have the $3K it takes to just join the club, the monthly dues, and then on top of that still having to pay for the activities.

• I tried several meet-up groups on the meet-up.com sight. I liked the 40 Something Group and I tried various activities with them. The organizers of the group have changed over the last year and the only activities being offered are meet-ups at bars – not that there’s anything wrong with that but I’m just not that into the bar scene – not really a party gal. It’s also usually a very large crowd – 45+ people which I find rather intimidating.

• I tried a Book Club but it’s hard to create friendships when you are only meeting once a month and it’s not always the same people every month.

• I tried church – my experiences with the churches I have tried is that they are a lot like high school – everyone already has their “click” that they hang out with and I have yet to find a church that offers a Single Adults Group – lots of groups for couples, kids, and young singles.

I’m not trying to make things difficult or to throw up roadblocks in every direction – just trying to be realistic – it was a lot easier to meet new people when you were in school. Forced meet-ups (classes)

Also – I don’t spend all my time sitting at home with my pets! Yes, I spend time during the week doing that – I leave for work around 8 – get home around 7 – gives me about 2 hours to walk the dog, eat some dinner, unwind from the work day, and then go to bed. Not a huge window for adding in meet new people activities.

So – I am open to suggestions – I am willing to try just about anything once – I will try out your suggestions and blog about them.

Anonymous – want to get together? Do you have a good circle of friends that would like and accept a new member? Maybe you could be a new friend and we could go do things together.



De

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My post was not intended to hurt your feelings or cause you pain. You have my sincerest apology. I have read only bits and pieces of your blog, so I will go to the beginning and start working forward.

Crawfords said...

I've got a solution to all your loneliness problems. JUST BECOME A MORMON!!! They're all about getting people married. I'm telling you, as I sat here and read your thoughts I just kept thinking "If she were only Mormon". It's relatively cheap (10% tithing), there IS a Single Adult Program for singles over 30, plus you'd then have the forced interaction of at least weekly church meetings (could be more depending on your calling in the church). There's a group that all the women are part of that's the largest women's organization in the world. Together they do all sorts of service projects and things to help each other out. You admit you're not a bar-hopping hussy so you're half-way there already. I'm telling you, this could be your ticket. Think about it.