Thursday, July 7, 2011

Relief Society

Last night was our Relief Society Additional Meeting.  The theme we were given was Provident Living so the Activity Committee - which I'm on - decided to do something on making jam and canning.  Now - I've made jam before - although a very long time ago.  When I lived in North Bend I had a plethora of blackberries growing in my backyard - I used to just go out there and pick enough to either make a pie or mix up some freezer jam.  It was fun.  However - I have never canned anything so was very excited to learn about that. 

I thought canning would be intensive and messy.  What I found out is -  if you plan ahead - are very organized - have a system - it can go rather smoothly.  It made me very excited to give it a try.  I was pleased to find out that you don't have to have a canning/pressure cooker - you can us any large pot as long as it has a good fitting tight lid and you have a rack to set the jars on.  So - now I just need to get some canning utensils - most importantly a jar lifter for taking the hot jars out of the hot water. 

Actually - the first step is probably to get my kitchen clean and organized so I have room to do the canning.  I wonder what I should try first?  Maybe just a couple jars of peaches to practice and test my skills on.  If this all works then my next thing might be applesauce!  

I have a potential new hobby!

De

No comments: