Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Flexible

flex•i•ble [flek-suh-buhl] adjective


1. capable of being bent, usually without breaking; easily bent: a flexible ruler.

2. susceptible of modification or adaptation; adaptable: a flexible schedule.

3. willing or disposed to yield; pliable: a flexible personality.



Let’s discuss definition number 2. My understanding of this is – you can set a schedule within certain parameters – come in whenever you want as long as you are here by 10 and get your work done. Basically in by 10 and work your 8 hours or more if needed to get the job done.

My schedule the previous months was pretty much 9:30 – 5:30/6:00 depending on whether I took a lunch break or not – which I usually don’t. I would get “suggestions” around close that maybe I could get in earlier to help others out with close. Well – I started doing that and remembered why I used to come in early – it’s quiet in the office, I can get more done in the morning, and I can head home earlier and have some time in the evening to do stuff before bedtime. So I have started getting into the office between 7:00 – 7:30 – I’m still not taking lunch breaks so I have been leaving at 3:30/4:00 – getting my 8 hours in and getting my work done. Now I feel like I am getting “suggestions” that 3:30/4:00 is awfully early to be leaving. There are other people in the office who have worked this early schedule and there has never been a problem.

So – back to the definition of flexible. I think we need to add one more description:

4. Modification of schedule as long as you are in the office from 8:00 – 5:00.



De

No comments: