Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Reality Bites

Boy am I glad I had to work late tonight . . . . . . . No, I haven't finally lost it!  It was just perfect timing. 

Tuesday is the day L's Unemployment Check comes in the mail and I usually end up picking her up from work, running up to my place to get the mail, back down the hill to cash the check, then to her place and then back to my house - makes for a long evening.  Well - today she called me around 4 - she had gotten off work early and was wondering if I knew when I would be getting off work.  Told her probably around 530 or 600. She said she would see if someone could come get her to go up to get her check and would call me back.  Got a call at 515 and was told her friend Chris could come get her in 30 min - would I be off before then - Nope, she should have her friend take her.  This isn't what made me happy to work late - although it did contribute to it.  The happiness came when I got a call at 630 that went like this:

L - "Mom, my check was only for $46"

D - "Maybe you ran out of Unemployment"

L - she reads me some of the tags at the bottom of her check

D - "L, what does it say your balance is"

L - reads more off her check

D - "L, what is your balance"

L - "It says my balance is $0"

D - "Unemployment is over"

L - "Aww . . . %$#&%"

Y'all would be so proud of me, I didn't say what was going through my head because I knew it would piss her off and I didn't want to deal with the histrionics. 

Here's what I was thinking:
  • I told you to keep an eye on the balance because you were going to run out soon and you needed to figure out what you were going to do when that money stopped coming in.  Basically an "I Told You So"
  • I am so glad I'm not with her right now because there would be tears, hysterics, and lots of yelling at Mom.
  • L meet Reality - Reality meet L
  • Unemployment Checks are done - last apron string is cut - No more driving her up here to get her check or trying to figure out how to drop it off to her. 
  • Ooohhh - I hope I don't get any late night calls full of tears, what am I going to do, and/or can I come live with you.
We'll see what happens now.

De

No comments: